Nowadays, it is common worldwide to believe that the incentive to enjoy studying is what gets the best results.
Various organisms have recognized the benefits of enjoying the act of studying: according to PIRLS, it has been found that there is a correlation between how much students enjoy studying and how well they do on their international literature exams. Accordingly, OCDE has found that reading for pleasure is even more important
than social class relative to academic success. The aforementioned is explained by the fact that enthusiastic
readers give themselves more opportunities to learn that equal many years of teachings.
To develop reading habits in students, it is fundamental we allocate time to reading for pleasure. Here are different options for how to separate some time to pleasantry reading.
1. Involve the students in choosing books compromises the student into reading.
You can organize the room or library by showcasing a variety of books from different genres, topics, and levels. Assign five minutes where the students can talk about themselves and what they would like to learn about, then ask them to pick a book to read for the rest of the hour. Help the students in their choices by recommending books that seem appropriate based on their interests and reading level.
2. Recommendations in pairs is one of the most effective ways to spread the joy of reading.
You can organize the annual calendar so that, at the beginning or end of every reading hour, a student recommends a book they have read to their classmates. It is important that the students show their preferences in various ways like, for example, the following:
- show the book and read the first page while using expression
- tell how they came across that book and why they chose to recommend it
- summarize the theme of the book and read a passage they liked
- briefly present the book and recommend it to the students who would most enjoy it
- choose and illustration and relate it to a theme or character in the book